Play Rugby in New Zealand
The Massey University Global Student Athlete Program (GSA - Rugby) offers an advanced rugby experience to male and female international students attending Massey University for Semester One (February-June) 2017. This opportunity to further develop your rugby ability comes through Massey University's unique partnership with the Manawatu Rugby Union. GSA - Rugby is open to students who have good knowledge and experience in rugby. It is ideal if you have ambitions to participate at a higher level of the game.
Study Abroad and Train with the Best
There are two parts to the program. The first is that you will enroll into Massey University as a study abroad or exchange student during Semester One 2017. The credit you gain from the courses you take will be transferred back to your home degree.
Secondly, as a member of GSA - Rugby, you will train with a wide squad of players who have the potential to play for the Manawatu Turbos, Manawatu Development or Manawatu Cyclones teams. The Turbos play in the New Zealand Premiership Provincial Union Competition, known as the Mitre 10 Cup. The Manawatu Cyclones play in the New Zealand Provincial Union Competition, and the Development Team also plays in a competition involving a range of Provincial Unions.
You will be aligned with a club and will play in a weekly competition through the duration of your study. Club training involves two evening training sessions per week with up to two further training sessions per week with the Manawatu wider training squad, involving both technical and tactical development.
You will have the following opportunities as part of GSA - Rugby:
- An opportunity to train alongside the Manawatu Rugby Academy and wider training squad
- Play club rugby in the Manawatu region
- Individual skill development - tactical, technical and position specific
- Strength and conditioning development - tailored to suit individual needs
- One-on-one support from the Manawatu Rugby Academy manager, strength and conditioning coach, and Turbos coach
- Use of Sportscode Video Analysis technology, with personalized coach support
- Swimming pool use for recovery purposes
- Rugby specific mental conditioning
- Sports nutrition advice
- Leadership development
- Free gym membership to the Manawatu Rugby Union Gym
- Attendance at one Hurricanes Super Rugby home match
- Training apparel (which may include: playing shorts, gym shorts, tracksuit, shell top, training tee, polo shirt, singlet, polar fleece hoodie, socks, cap, beanie, and gear bag) up to a value of NZ $600)
Your training will include up to four training sessions per week plus gym training, recovery sessions, and video analysis tutorials.
How to Enroll
Contact Craig Lyons, Student Mobility Coordinator: C.V.Lyons@Massey.ac.nz