Temple Thwarts Comeback to Defeat Dayton in ACRC7s Bowl Match
Temple University defeated the University of Dayton in a closely-contested Bowl match at the ACRC7s in Virginia Beach. The final was Temple 28-Dayton 26.
Temple’s Anthony Sciarra broke a scoreless tie two minutes into the first half, sprinting past Dayton defenders for a try down the left side, converted by Ryan Grow for the 7-0 lead. Dayton answered right back with two tries after some effective passing from the Flyers, making it 12-7. The see-saw continued as Temple logged two tries of their own to end the half at 21-12 Owls.
The second half started with yet another try from Temple, followed by a valiant comeback attempt from Dayton, who scored two unanswered tries and generally kept the pressure on for most of the remainder of the game. The vaunted Owl defense likely saved the day in the face of multiple Flyers sortees.
Despite foiling a late attempt by Temple to break the game open deep in Flyers territory, time was not on Dayton’s side as the game ended with a 28-26 victory for the Temple Owls.
Boathouse Sports Men of the Match
- Anthony Sciarra Senior Lansdale, PA Played Rugby for North Penn
- Dan Ponti Junior West Berlin, NJ
- Jake Kawulicz Senior Bethel, CT
- Jarred Moore Senior Fallbrook, CA Played Rugby for Fallbrook HS (San Diego, CA)
- Jeremy Ault Sophomore Warrington, PA Played Rugby for Doylestown
- Jeremy Engel Junior Milford, PA
- John Gibbons Junior Oreland, PA
- Mark Mol Senior Philadelphia, PA Played Rugby for North East Raiders
- Mike Wellstein Sophomore Berwyn, PA Played Rugby for Conestoga
- Oscar Hernandez Freshmen Reading, PA Played Rugby for Exeter
- Peter Mulville Senior Downingtown, PA Played Rugby for Downingtown
- Ryan Grow Senior Philadelphia, PA Played Rugby for North East Raiders
- Scott Weber Senior West Chester, PA Played Rugby for West Chester
- Steven Engle Sophomore Royersford, PA Played Rugby for Valley Forge and Phoenixville Mustangs
- Tom Jenkins Junior Boston, MA